In Germany, Two Professors and A Student Discover the Past and Prepare a Class for the Future Posted on August 18th, 2022 by

This post comes to us from Dr. Marcia Bunge, describing her summer travels in Germany and her hopes for the course it will inspire. 

Recent graduate Allison James ’22 and I spent two weeks in Germany at the beginning of June. Our travels, generously funded by a donor, served as pilot for a future course in Germany.

Allison and I traveled with Dr. Esther Wang (Music), and we had a wonderful time exploring historic German cities and sites connected to the life and work of Martin Luther, J.S. Bach, and Dietrich Bonhoeffer, including Heidelberg, Eisenach, the Wartburg Castle, Erfurt, Wittenberg, Weimar, and Leipzig. And at the end of the trip, we attended concerts at the International Bach Festival in Leipzig.

As I see it, my future course will help students explore their own core values and sense of purpose while reading and learning about major figures and turning points in German history from the beginnings of the Reformation in 1517 to the Fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989.