“A Sense of Understanding:” Olivia Anderson-Blythe (’22) Reflects on Her Years of Courses in the Department Posted on May 30th, 2022 by

Our first post comes from graduating senior Olivia Anderson-Blythe. In it, she reflects on her courses in the Department, what she expected, and what lessons she’s taking with her as she leaves Gustavus. We wish her luck on her next adventures!

As a religion major, it’s hard to choose a favorite course in the department as I have thoroughly enjoyed so many of my classes over the last four years. The religion department here at Gustavus provides a great selection of courses that expose students to a wide array of religious beliefs, perspectives, and the relevant history surrounding it. There was never a moment where it felt as though we were being indoctrinated, something which many students are afraid of before they take their required theology credit, especially those struggling with their own faith.

Dr. Sarah Ruble’s course, Religion in America, and Dr. Chris Gilbert’s course, Religion and Politics in America, are two great classes to take for those who are less interested in understanding specific theological beliefs (although that is covered!) and are more interested in learning how religion and politics became so intertwined in American culture. Another class that I found particularly helpful throughout my religion department journey was Dr. Samuel Kessler’s Introduction to Judaism, which I took my first semester my freshman year. Learning about the first Abrahamic faith proved to be very useful in studying religion as it gives necessary context to Christianity as well as Islam, the other two major Abrahamic religions. Of course, if one takes a liking to Gustavus’ religion courses, there are many more in-depth classes one could take, often pertaining to a specific theological question or issue.

Overall, I am incredibly grateful to have been given the opportunity to study religion at Gustavus, especially as someone who is not religious myself. I believe that gaining a better understanding of what people believe is crucial to solving some of the most complicated issues our society faces. Without being sensitive to people’s fundamental beliefs, we cannot make much progress, as ignoring someone’s faith often completely invalidates their feelings and perspective, something which often underlies their entire view of the world. Approaching these issues with a sense of understanding leaves room for real progress without insulting anyone for holding the beliefs they have, especially because nobody really likes to be told their perspective is completely wrong.