Introducing Dr. Robert Porwoll, Visiting Assistant Professor of Religion Posted on October 20th, 2020 by

This year, the Department welcomes a second new visiting faculty member, Dr. Robert Porwoll, Visiting Assistant Professor of Religion.

Dr. Porwoll received his PhD from the University of Chicago, where he specialized in the History of Christianity. 

This fall, Dr. Porwoll is teaching REL 132 Religion and Ecology and REL 253 Science and Religion. Keep watch for Dr. Porwoll’s J-Term and Spring classes as they’re announced. 

A few words of his own introduction: 

During the shut-down in Spring and Summer, while finishing my Spring classes, I organized and moderated an online webinar series for the non-profit, Lumen Christi Institute, “Reason and Wisdom in Medieval Christian Thought,” (now on youtube) and then coordinated a collaborative series between the Lumen Christi Institute and the American Cusanus Society to put on another series, “Reason and Beauty in the Renaissance Christian Thought and Culture” also on YouTube).

Besides teaching “Science and Religion” and “Religion and Ecology” at Gustavus, I am also in the final stages of sending to press an edited volume of contributed essays on the Victorines, a seminal medieval school of thought located in Saint Victor Abbey in Paris.

My family and I live in North Mankato and have been loving Summer and early Autumn in Minnesota, biking, canoeing, swimming, roast marshmallows, and generally spending time outdoors. I am very impressed by the friendly warmth, thoughtful leadership, and bright students that I’ve found at Gustavus and look forward to getting to know this community better.